Friday, February 20, 2009

An Accurate Introduction

I suppose I'm just going to get to it and write my first blog post on To The Point. Since I'm alum, I'm sure a lot of what I have to say is going to get breezed on by, buy maybe I'll be lucky and Leb and Avra will read my stuff (only cuz they like me and tolerate my insanity).

So, I'm sure I won't be the first person to tell you that life after graduation sucks. With the horrible economy and dwindling job market, there's little employment to come by for a know-it-all college grad with no experience. Compounding that fact is the move I made right after graduation, to Houghton, MI, part of the even-more-economically-depressed-than-the-rest-of-the-country Upper Peninsula. I can't even find a full-time 40 hour a week job answering phones let alone get into the paper here (although I did have a really close call about a month ago-we'll get to that some other time). So as of today, right now, this moment, I am working 3 jobs - as a "customer service associate" at JC Penney's, the front desk at the local Ramada Inn, and the only one that really matters, as a freelance journalist for Suite101. Now, while it sounds like I'm busy, I barely get 30 hours working the two "real" jobs, and my laziness has kept me from writing a whole lot for Suite, until recently.

I found my nitch (spelling?) in writing very quick and easy articles detailing drink recipes. The reason for this is because like I said, I've been procrastinating, and I need to write 10 articles in a month or I get fired from the job (places tend to do that if you don't do what you're supposed to). Happily, I found that I'm good at these articles and can pump them out pretty fast, so I probably won't have any issues making the deadline. And, even more awesome, people actually want to read the articles, which is really the point, isn't it? This is very good, because I get paid based on the traffic I bring to the site, so I figure, if I need 1000 views to get paid, and each article brings me 150 views, and I get paid $.03 per view, that by the time I've written my tenth article, I will have earned $15.00. A small amount, yes, but the beginnings of my life changing, money-making freelance career. Hopefully. Maybe. Well, probably not. But a girl can hope, right?

1 comment:

Avra Jean said...

It is spelled "niche"

Can you tell me more about Suite 101? I have seen it and thought about it, even looked to apply. Something stopped me but I can't remember what...

Of course I will read, I read it all. Just as long as I know you will read mine.