Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Hello Sports Fans,

The other day I was sitting at a friends house with her and her boyfriend and we started arguing about the value of some movies and whether they were good or bad. To be more specific, we were discussing the Harry Potter series. He claimed that these movies sucked and had lame stories. I then asked if he had read the books. He said he didn't read books. I almost got up and walked out of the room.

While in high school, at least a majority of my graduating class read books. Not just school books, but they would read books for pleasure. Granted, I only graduated with only 28 people, having a majority read books isn't eh greatest of achievements, but it's come to my attention that nowhere near the majority of college students are reading books. This is really starting to upset me. The lack of enthusiasm for today's literature is astounding.

There is so much advancement and experimentation in today's book world that their has to be something for people to read. I don't buy the "I don't like to read" excuse. People have to read ever day. Street signs, advertisements, and magazines are part of everyday life and yet when you ask someone to read something more than 1000 words long that isn't about Brangelina or Brett Favre, people look at you in disgust as if you're asking them to slaughter a goat in the name of beelzebub.

So I urge you, pick up a book. Experience a degree of storytelling, emotion and narrative that can't be expressed on screen. If anything, pick up a newspaper an learn something that isn't also on MTV and TMZ. Turn off the tv and the playstation, put your Cosmopolitan Magazine on the floor and pick up a book. I urge you. Do this because books are awesome and good story telling should never die but it will if people don't experience the ways that the earliest stories were first recorded and told.

1 comment:

erin said...

BRAVO JAKE!
(Yes, I will yell it. It's important.)