Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Thank the heavens, Brett Favre retired...


It is about time that the old man finally called it quits. I've pretty much never been a Packer fan despite my living in Central Wisconsin all my life, and I couldn't wait for the day when Brett Favre would finally hang up the ole helmet and called it a career. I even cheered when he retired last year and groaned when I found out he was coming back again. For all those wondering, I am an avid Philadelphia Eagles fan and have been for as far back as I can remember.

Anyway, I can't totally diss Favre though, he holds A LOT of records including most career touchdown passes (464), most career pass completions (5,720), most career yards passing (65,127), regular season victories (169) and most importantly, career interceptions (310). He also did win the MVP a few times and won a Super Bowl. Plus, he did divided Packer fans between supporting their team or supporting their favorite player who just so happened to be a Jet. I couldn't have been happier for that.

Anyway, I do strongly believe that he should have stayed retired last year before becoming a Jet, because no matter how much I can't stand him or the Packers, I know he is and will always be known as a Packer legend. He had achieved more than many other football players dream of and wasn't really getting any better. When I get as old as him, I'll probably still remember him as the best Packer ever to play during my lifetime and that he did bring forth the only time I will probably ever witness a Wisconsin professional team win a championship.

My advice to Brett Favre now that he is retired would be to go out and teach. Years ago, when in college, he did earn his teaching degree with an emphasis in special education. I think he could find some ways to motivate his students and really make an even more positive difference in the world. Anyway, we'll see if he stays retired in a few months...maybe he'll be playing for the Eagles in the fall and I'll have to cheer for him.


No comments: