Thursday, February 12, 2009

How to survive "The Pointer" (Vol. 1: Communication majors)

I should preface this post with some background information. I entered the Pointer office on the first Wednesday of the fall semester and encountered precisely one familiar face-- Katie, the editor-in-chief, whom I had seen once before, when she had interviewed me. I was an English major in a communication major's world, and when they found out, I admit I got a little nervous.
"You're an English major?" (In scandalized tones, as if I had instead admitted to having a collection of lederhosen and enjoying polka on the weekends.)
I was a stranger in a strange land. So how do I deal with these commie (Can I call them commies? Consult the AP Stylebook.) majors? There are a few basic rules.
  • The AP Stylebook is the Bible for all communication majors. Do not diss it. Do not ignore it. Check everything you might have a question about in it. Do I write out the word "Friday" or abbreviate it as "Fri."? Check the Stylebook. Do I place a comma before the "and" in a list of items? Check the Stylebook. Can I name my firstborn son after my father? Check the Stylebook.
  • It's communicaTION, not communicaTIONS. Get it right, or be ridiculed.
  • Do not overuse or insert adjectives or adverbs. In the communcation world, these are called modifiers, or more honestly, clutter. This is an English major's nightmare. If you compare this post with the others that appear on this blog, I guarantee a sharp communication major's eye will be able to spot that a foreigner who is not afraid of modifiers is penning this post.
  • Be familiar with all of the communication clubs, factions and denominations (do you see how I artfully ignore the comma that should come before "and"? It's all thanks to Avra). Know what PRSSA is. Know who the most (and least) popular professors are. Take careful mental notes or you will be lost hopelessly in a swamp of names and acronyms, all unintelligable to your fragile English major ears.
  • Be aware that all of the communication students (and faculty) know each other, can spot each other in a crowd and know all of each other's business. It's their job. They must know what's going on.
  • Be further aware that communication majors know exactly what's happening on campus at any given moment, especially within their communication tribe (whose headquarters is the CAC). They are very well informed, because, again, it's their job.
  • Mostly, remember that these commie majors are some of the nicest, most genuine people you will ever meet. They really do care what happened in your day; they will remember your name and invite you to have lunch with them and discuss current events, on the national, local and personal level. They have an unexhuastable energy at times that comes with their chosen major and line of work: they truly care about people and their activities and lives. More interesting and lovely people you will never meet.

So don't be afraid, English majors, or any other major that might look at this group of students and think, "They're awfully cliquey..." While it may be true, I can assure you that there is always a spot open for one (or two, or three) more in the clique. As long as you bring your own Stylebook.

4 comments:

JustAnonymous said...

I know how you feel.

Jake M. said...

Thanks Erin, this was fun to read.

kawanoski said...

Do I dare say "amazing"? Yes, I do. AMAZING! I woke up my roommate laughing.

Anonymous said...

Cool post you got here. It would be great to read a bit more concerning that theme. The only thing I would like to see on that blog is some photos of some gizmos.
Jeff Watcerson
Cell phone blocker